Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Hispanic Heritage Month Feature - Flor Albornoz

Flor Albornoz
Hometown: Lima, Peru
Major: Electrical Engineering
Year: Senior

What does it mean to be a minority studying Engineering at Purdue?
It means to defeat the stereotype that Hispanics can’t achieve higher education and pave the way for younger generations to be role models.
Why did you choose to study engineering here at Purdue?
I chose engineering because it is a challenging major focuses on improving people’s day to day lives through technology. Moreover, the competitive engineering program allows me gain the skills to make a difference in our community.
Do you have advice for a prospective Hispanic student looking at Purdue? What do you wish you would have known?
I wish I would have known that it was O.K. I was not the same as my peers. For a couple of years, I tried to behave like my peers and I even stayed away from Hispanic culture because it wasn’t the norm. Little did I know, what drives me to achieve my major is seeing Hispanic students work hard to achieving goals that in our communities might seem impossible. Being culturally different is an advantage, not disadvantage. Purdue will push the boundaries of your comfort zone whether that is academically or personally. That’s a good thing because it means you are growing as a person and making yourself stronger. Imposter syndrome might be easy to fall into, but know that you deserve to be in this institution as much as your peers. Your success, drive and knowledge is what allowed you to be at Purdue. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
What is something you would have done different during your first year? (If this is your first year, what would you have done differently before coming to Purdue?)
I would have done things at my own pace and seek for help in classes rather than pretend I understood all the material. I remember my peers would get the material very fast and put little to no effort on first year engineering classes while it would take me 10 times the effort they put to get close the same results. I tried very hard to not be seen as the minority student who was a slow learner so I let myself be influenced by that.
What does Hispanic Heritage Month mean to you?

It means to be proud of my culture and where I come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment